Karaoke DVD Burner: Great program! but... unable to burn +

Get help with the bugs you encounter in our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

ecalles

Karaoke DVD Burner: Great program! but... unable to burn +

Post by ecalles »

I bought Karaoke DVD Burner a couple of weeks ago and I really like it for its simplicity of use.

I some problems, which can also be taken as suggestions for fixing.

I do not burn straight from CD-G to DVD, and after I ripped some of my CDs (200 to 300 songs), I found the following problems:

# 1
Ripped files (mpg) started to disappear.
KDB organizes them nicely in song collection file, but the file/folder structure does not reflect that. All ripped files (mpg) resided on the same folder, and I suspect that after a while, it started generiting duplicate file names and overrode my previous ones without asking.
My work around was to change the destination folder (File --> Settings) before ripping each CD-G.

# 2
After about 30 minutes of re-organizing folders and files, it gave an "out of memory error" and it close the program. This has only happened once, and I am unable to reproduce.

# 3
I am unable to burn DVDs. This is the one bugging me the mos.
Now I have all my files the way I want them, and redy to burn them on my DVDs, I can NOT.

When I go to "Create and Burn" it tells me that is doing it with percentages and everything. After about 30 seconds, it tells me that is complete, nothing happens.
I have followed all the instructions regarding enough disk space, no more than 99 songs in a menu, etc.
Burning DVDs on my PC is not a problem. I have burned DVDs before with other software, so I have the right equipment. (my burner is a "LightScribe").

If I go to "Create Files", after a few seconds it comes with the message "Error creating files" or "File Creation Error", I don't remember exactly, and that's it! No more explanations, nothing else happens. It just go back to the song collection screen.

Final note: I have the latest version of KDB, and there a no problems with the generated video files (mpg), they play nice, and I can burn them with another software, but I don't like the menus other programs generate.

Any ideas or suggestions will be really appreciated.

(I also bought the one to remove vocals, but haven't played with it much, yet).

ecalles
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

I am sorry that you are having problems with the software.

Please make sure that you are using the latest version (1.0.9). Also please start Karaoke DVD Burner and press Ctrl+SHIFT+L . The folder that will open should contain kardvdlog.txt file -- it is a log file for the program. Please email it to us. It will allow us to diagnose the problem.

Regarding the file naming -- the files should not overwrite. Each new ripped file is saved with a unique name. We will probably add a way to name the files in the way user would like them in one of the future versions.
ecalles

Post by ecalles »

I tried your suggestion. Just upgraded to 1.0.9 (I was running 1.0.8).
The problem persists.

I think the problem is the naming of my files. Most of them are Spanish songs, and therefore they have the Spanish accents.
I opened the log that you suggested and tried to make sense out of it. (By the way, I am a software developer and have been for many years).
I notices that your log said "converting to UTF-8", and then it clued!

I removed all the Spanish accents. For example, a song name containing the word "María", which contains ASCII 161, I renamed with a plain "i".

You'll notice that after I've ripped the songs, I've names the files with the actual song name. This helps me organize them better.

Also, after I re-name the songs, I re-import them into the song collection file. Your program only allows to add songs with "cdg" or "bin" extension. I select "All files (*.*)" and then I can add all the ripped "mpg" files.

When I clicked on the "Create and Burn", the processing of the files went longer, but still would not produce anything. It would process for about a minute, and then the processing windows would disappear, and I am back at the song collection screen.

I have sent you the log file for your analysis.

I still need help.

By the way, thanks a lot for your prompt support.

ecalles.
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

There was a problem with MPEG encoder not working correctly on some ripped files. And as you are not re-ripping the files, but using those ripped with the older version, this file:

04 Dancing Queen.mpg

is not encoded properly. Version 1.0.9 works properly, but you need to re-rip the file. It is also possible that couple of other files you ripped with the older version might be corrupted.
ecalles

Post by ecalles »

Thanks, I will try re-ripping them. It will take me a few hours. I will first do a test with just a few songs.
I used and bought version 1.0.8 because that was the latest you had a week ago.

I still think you have the right idea, and great support.
Once all the bugs have been worked out, you will have a great product.

Another suggestion:
When ripping songs, it would be nice if the program would allow the user to rename every song (file name) just before ripping, instead of letting the program pick random meaningless names. This would make it easier to organize the song later.

Cheers,

ecalles
admin
Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, we will add a way to change the name of ripped songs.
ecalles

Post by ecalles »

Thanks a lot! That worked fine.
Now that I have my CD-Gs on DVD, I can do my happy singing without having to flip CDs every five songs.

Thanks a lot for your great and prompt support!

admin
Admin

Post by admin »

Happy Singing!