How do I adjust my settings so that Singer's key/ pitch adjustments are saved in their history?

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

DFT

How do I adjust my settings so that Singer's key/ pitch adjustments are saved in their history?

Post by DFT »

What are the proper settings to save a Singer's key/ pitch adjustments in their history so that the next time that song is selected from their history it has the same adjustments as the last time it was played?

I know that if a song is highlighted and the key/ pitch adjustment is changed, when you 'add' the song to the rotation the key/ pitch setting applies when you play the song from the rotation.

I also know that you can use the 'Details' button from the Rotation window to open and select a song already in the rotation and make a change to the key/ pitch for that time playing.

But I am not sure if either of the above results in the song again being played with the same key/ pitch adjustment when it is again selected from the singers history ... because when I later recall a song it seems I am getting inconsistent results as to whether the former key/ pitch adjustment remains the same..

Help would be appreciated.
Paradigm Karaoke

Re: How do I adjust my settings so that Singer's key/ pitch adjustments are saved in their history?

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

the first method, doing it in the add singer screen will save the key/tempo change and use it every time that song is performed by that singer. the other method in the details screen is one time only and will go back to the previous key/tempo the next time.
DFT

Re: How do I adjust my settings so that Singer's key/ pitch adjustments are saved in their history?

Post by DFT »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 am the first method, doing it in the add singer screen will save the key/tempo change and use it every time that song is performed by that singer. the other method in the details screen is one time only and will go back to the previous key/tempo the next time.
Thank you!

Now I understand why my results seem inconsistent.

Last question on this: so, can I change the saved permanent state from the first method by repeating that process?
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Hi DFT

Yes, whenever you use the Add Singer method SKP will override the last saved key and tempo and will save the newly entered key and tempo of the song for that particular singer. Next time you select the song for the singer SKP will use the last key and tempo you used in the Add Singer screen.
DFT

Post by DFT »

Paradigm & Hornet ...

Thanks for the help!

This is one more good reason I wish the 'Song List' pane of the 'Add Singer/ Song' window also displayed the Key/ Pitch settings in the available display fields.

The way it is now you could reload a song you thought you'd made the proper adjustment for and not know it was improperly adjusted unless you double checked by highlighting the singer and looking in the 'Artist/ Title' pane of the rotation window. Not very elegant IMO.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

DFT

When you select your singer and a song from their list of past songs the key and tempo on the Add Singer screen will show what was saved as the last key and tempo for that particular song.
DFT

Post by DFT »

Hornet ... thanks again!

I'm still not clear on this. The only place I seem to find that info is in the rotation list when you highlight a singer and look at their queued songs.

I'm probably going to write to a little rant about this issue sometime in the future, comparing how byzantine pitch/ key info and settings is in contrast to my former program ... which I would still be using hadn't Microsoft installed a critical update that you can't roll back on my Win 7 Pro O/S.

By 'Add Singer' do you meant the 'Add Singer/ Song ...' window that opens from the rotation screen? What is the specific title of sub-pane with that info. I sure don't see it in the main screen where the singer's past songs show up when they are the selected singer at the top left.

Thanks again.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

DFT

Yes, I'm talking about the screen that pops up when you click on the "Add Singer / Song" button on the bottom left of the "Rotation" screen. Clicking on the "Add Singer / Song" button will open the "Add Singer" popup screen. This is where you will enter your singer and their song along with any key or tempo changes. On this screen when you click on a singer that is already in your history, that is their name is part of the drop down menu at the top left where it says "Singer's Name" it will populate their song list according to their history. Selecting any song from their "Song List" will automatically populate the song's key and tempo according to the last time you entered the song. When you click on any song in their song list and change the key or tempo, SKP will store the changes to the singer's history. The next time you select the song it will reflect the changes that you made until you change it again. Hope this helps.
Paradigm Karaoke

i see what he is asking Hornet,
looking for a column like "Disk" or "Playing Time" that shows the last saved key change for all their songs.
DFT

Post by DFT »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:03 am i see what he is asking Hornet,
looking for a column like "Disk" or "Playing Time" that shows the last saved key change for all their songs.
Paradigm ...

EXACTLY! (pardon my shouting). This is why I asked for this in the feature request forum. While I understand that last setting is saved ... that setting is not displayed in the Singer history ... as far as I can see the saved setting only appears in the rotation window when a singer in the rotation is highlighted and you can see it in the pane on the right side of the rotation window.

I am frankly very disappointed with the way the pitch and tempo setting works. The operation seems to imply that once a singer states they want a song key/ pitch down 2 half-steps, that is how they will want it for every song. And that setting seems to maintain static if it is not changed the next time that singer adds a new song.

In my own experience there are artists where I typically add a semi-tone to find a comfortable key/ pitch for my own singing, and many more where I subtract a semi-tone or more. Even then, on a particular song by an artist I'm familiar with I sometimes need to make a 'custom' change rather than using my default adjustment to their material.

The fact is that changing the key/ pitch depends on the key/ pitch of the original material not the singer's 'tessatura,' i.e., vocal range. So having a static setting locked to the singer makes no sense to me.

I would really like to see two things that I imagine would not require extensive coding ... though I could be very wrong about that.

1. As I have finally been able to communicate to you, Paradigm, another option column that shows the saved pitch/ key and tempo saved with the singer.

2. In the song detail gui the option to permanently change the saved pitch/ key ... not just change the present instance. Otherwise to properly save the desired setting I have to delete the song from the rotation list, return to the 'Add Singer/ Song ...' window, rehighlight the song, change the key/ pitch setting and re-add the song to the rotation. Surely it shouldn't be this convoluted?

Thanks for considering.
Paradigm Karaoke

DFT wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm
EXACTLY! (pardon my shouting). This is why I asked for this in the feature request forum. While I understand that last setting is saved ... that setting is not displayed in the Singer history ... as far as I can see the saved setting only appears in the rotation window when a singer in the rotation is highlighted and you can see it in the pane on the right side of the rotation window.
when you click on a song in the persons history, the key adjustment selection will show the currently saved key for that song under that singer.
DFT}I am frankly very disappointed with the way the pitch and tempo setting works. The operation seems to imply that once a singer states they want a song key/ pitch down 2, that is how they will want it for every song. And that setting seems to maintain static if it is not changed the next time that singer adds a new song.[/quote wrote: this is not a static setting, the key change is only saved for that particular song unless you have changed it in the "singer properties" screen. if you make the key change in the "add singer" screen, it will only save a key change for that one song.
DFT}In my own experience there are artists where I typically add a [please do not post unlock codes wrote: to find a comfortable key/ pitch for my own singing, and many more where I subtract a [please do not post unlock codes] or more. Even then, on a particular song by an artist I'm familiar with I sometimes need to make a 'custom' change rather than using my default adjustment to their material.
agreed, that is why it is set up song by song.
DFT}The fact is that changing the key/ pitch depends on the key/ pitch of the original material not the singer's 'tessatura,' i.e., vocal range. So having a static setting locked to the singer makes no sense to me.[/quote wrote: this is where i am confused, it is not a static setting locked to the singer, only the song in that singers history.

I would really like to see two things that I imagine would not require extensive coding ... though I could be very wrong about that.
DFT wrote:1. As I have finally been able to communicate to you, Paradigm, another option column that shows the saved pitch/ key and tempo saved with the singer.
i would like to see this as well
DFT wrote:2. In the song detail gui the option to permanently change the saved pitch/ key ... not just change the present instance.
this is the purpose however of the "Song Detail" gui. example, you normally sing this song down 1, this week your allergies are kicking your butt, so your voice is lower than normal, so you drop it another one....just for tonight. this is where the "song detail" gui is used.
DFT wrote: Otherwise to properly save the desired setting I have to delete the song from the rotation list, return to the 'Add Singer/ Song ...' window, rehighlight the song, change the key/ pitch setting and the song to the rotation. Surely it shouldn't be this convoluted?
if they did not tell you ahead of time that they need a change, i see your point.
perhaps if the "song details" gui was slightly extended to show all details of the saved instance and make them adjustable either one time or permanently.

Piotr, i see what he is looking for, i will mail you a mockup of what i am seeing.
DFT

Post by DFT »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am when you click on a song in the persons history, the key adjustment selection will show the currently saved key for that song under that singer.
Yes ... I know this is so, but why should I have to highlight a song to determine that? It should be readily displayed (as I think I understand you agree.)
Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am this is not a static setting, the key change is only saved for that particular song unless you have changed it in the "singer properties" screen. if you make the key change in the "add singer" screen, it will only save a key change for that one song.
I am still trying to get to grips with the program ... I'm not sure I yet understand the 'singer properties' screen. Is this an independent window or a pane in another window?
Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am this is the purpose however of the "Song Detail" gui. example, you normally sing this song down 1, this week your allergies are kicking your butt, so your voice is lower than normal, so you drop it another one....just for tonight. this is where the "song detail" gui is used.

if they did not tell you ahead of time that they need a change, i see your point.
perhaps if the "song details" gui was slightly extended to show all details of the saved instance and make them adjustable either one time or permanently.
I'd add, not infrequently a singer starts a song and stalls because they realize they can't sing to the key ... and ask for it to be shifted and restarted. They may not know whether they can sing it in the original key or not.

So yes, it would be splendid to have both options in the 'Song Details:' temporary or permanent adjustment.

I imagine you know that when you right click the header of the Singer's History pane at the bottom of the ''Add Singer/ Song ...' window there is a drop down menu where you can tick the boxes to choose which fields to display for individual songs in that singer's history.

I think two further selectable fields should be added to the eight from which you can already choose.

Thanks for listening.

DF
Paradigm Karaoke

DFT wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm
Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am this is not a static setting, the key change is only saved for that particular song unless you have changed it in the "singer properties" screen. if you make the key change in the "add singer" screen, it will only save a key change for that one song.
I am still trying to get to grips with the program ... I'm not sure I yet understand the 'singer properties' screen. Is this an independent window or a pane in another window?
on the left of the rotation screen, there is button with an avatar and an exclamation point. that opens the singer properties. if the key says anything but 0, it is using that key change for all songs that singer tries. set it to 0 to stop that.
DFT

Post by DFT »

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:42 am
DFT wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:29 pm
on the left of the rotation screen, there is button with an avatar and an exclamation point. that opens the singer properties. if the key says anything but 0, it is using that key change for all songs that singer tries. set it to 0 to stop that.
Paradigm ...

Thanks so much for this! It clears up most of my confusion regarding this issue ... though I'd still like to see the info in Song History as previously discussed.

I find SKP challenging in the sense that info is conceptually related seems squirreled away in so many different locations.

DF
cdakaraoke

Post by cdakaraoke »

If I have a singer that changes their key at the start or middle of the song, while they are singing you can add the same song with the new key in the rotation, move it up to the top while it is playing, delete the one with the wrong key and it will save the new key once the song is finished or you hit go to next song. Yes a window will pop up asking if you really want to add the same song..

jerry