How to physically run a Karaoke Show

This is the place for general discussion about our software

Moderators: adam, admin, Piotr

SteveL

How to physically run a Karaoke Show

Post by SteveL »

Normally, I use the Karaoke system to help remind me of the words and I sing as a soloist. However, I have my first Karaoke show as a true host at a retirement center and I'm concerned on how to physically run it.
I know to prepare a song list and have a sign in process for people to sign up for the songs they want.

My question is how do I set up one person while another person is singing? Do I have to physically pause until after the person finishes before I can search for the song and add it? Do I need two computers one for the song currently being performed and the other to set up for the next person? If that is the method, how do you switch between the two computers seemlessly? HELP!
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Steve, what program are you using? If you are using Karaoke Pro then all you need to do is click on the add singer/song button at any time and add the next singer. You can access the add singer/song any time without interrupting the current singer. Karaoke Pro is very user friendly. Oh BTW you'll only need to use one computer for the entire venue.
SteveL

Host

Post by SteveL »

I use the Siglos Professional. You can start a new singer in the middle of another singing? Won't the person singing see as I click through the songs to add the new singer? I have the laptop with an output to an LCD TV also.

When I was doing this at home, I could see everything I did on the TV monitor. It seems that would mess up the current singer? What am I missing. Do I need a special connection between the laptop and the TV?
adam

Post by adam »

Please set your video card into extended desktop mode, and then give it a try. You should be able to run the software as required, that is with TV screen used for lyrics only.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

adam wrote:Please set your video card into extended desktop mode, and then give it a try. You should be able to run the software as required, that is with TV screen used for lyrics only.
How do I do that. Is that in Siglos or Windows. I have Vista. Also, how do I know if I have a video card. Where do I find it?
I set Siglos for the additional monitor (I forgot the term). I tried to find how to set up Windows, but Siglos instructions were for Explorer.

I went back and double checked and sure enough, what displays on the TV is exactly what I see on the computer.

By the way, will I run into problems if I upgrade to Windows 7?
adam

Post by adam »

Please see the following link for instruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0kZeXW ... re=related

Regarding Windows 7, it is fully supported.
SteveL

I got it going

Post by SteveL »

I got it working! It is incrediably easier to use with 2 monitors versus 1!!!!!!

First, I looked up "Dual Monitors with Windows Vista" (or something similar). I found instructions and set it up.

Second, I set up the secondary Monitor in Siglos.

Having never used a dual monitor, I had no idea how it worked. The web site apparaently assumed one know how to use the dual monitor. Therefore, even though I had a second monitor, my entire siglos screens were still on one monitor. I accidentally got my cursor on the second monitor and found I couldn't shut down the computer easily without a forced (power off) method,. After rebooting, it dawned on me that perhaps whatever I did to get the cursor on the second monitor may be how I got the Siglos lyrics to the other monitor. I kept experimenting and found that I would "slide" my cursor to the other screen. Figuring that out, I then grabbed the lyrics and slid (moved) it over to the second monitor! Walla, it works beautifully!!!!!!

Part of my confusion was that however I have it set up, I have to slide to the LEFT in order to get it to go over to the second monitor that is on my right side. (Best Buy later told me that I probably have the monitors reversed in the Windows setup).

In the future, you may want to explain those basic concepts. If one has never used a second monitor, they have NO idea how they actually work. However, I fully understand that when one works with it every day, they may forget that some people are truly starting from zero knowledge of dual monitors.

Having done this now, I will never try to run the show on one monitor! I just thought I didn't know how to run Siglos which was why it was so awkward. Now, I see I should have been running two monitors in the first place. (That is probably another point that should be on the initial website and instructions when downloading that it works best with two monitors). Again, for experienced KJ's that is probably so elementary that they never thought it needed explaining! :)

Thanks for you patience and help!!!!!! I didn't even know enough to ask the questions that would have triggered a response that I needed to slide from one monitor to another :)
SteveL

clarification

Post by SteveL »

I need to clarify that when I mentioned "Dual Monitors with Windows Vista" that I did this with my search engine (Bing or Google).
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

SteveL you can also try using the Dual Display Mouse Mgr found on this website. http://sourceforge.net/projects/ddmm/

It's used for dual displays and it stops the mouse from running off your desktop on to the second display. I think you'll find this app very useful.
tryingcake

Post by tryingcake »

Thank you!!!! Finally. I also had no experience in this and could only find help for those who did. This was a great help.
hornet59

Post by hornet59 »

Glad we could be of help
rc

setting up dual monitor

Post by rc »

i just set up the siglos player/ recorder
I have done all the steps to extend my monitor and I'm able to drag the lyrics to the LCD tv.
But I want to be able to work the player from my laptop viewing the lyrics, player, and song list as well. I can't see the lyrics monitor from where I have my laptop.
Is there a way to post the lyrics on my laptop and TV monitor?
If so how do it get there.
Dana48457

Post by Dana48457 »

you do not need to drag you lyrics to the monitor. If you extend your Desktop in your video display settings, then in the karaoke program set it to use two display monitors. This will give you control of the program on the computer and it will display the lyrics on the second monitor or tv.
rc

second monitor viewing problem

Post by rc »

ok i did what you told me to do. I extended the monitor and it showed my computer display without icons. I opened player/record and went to settings and check off second monitor. and nothing happened.
any other ideas it could be to get the second monitor to be full screen only for lyrics and the built in display to show my working page with lyrics, playlist and player?
adam

Re: setting up dual monitor

Post by adam »

rc wrote:i just set up the siglos player/ recorder
I have done all the steps to extend my monitor and I'm able to drag the lyrics to the LCD tv.
But I want to be able to work the player from my laptop viewing the lyrics, player, and song list as well. I can't see the lyrics monitor from where I have my laptop.
Is there a way to post the lyrics on my laptop and TV monitor?
If so how do it get there.
I'm afraid this option (to have the preview of the lyrics on the operator panel) is available in Siglos Karaoke Professional only.